The Scoop: Planning to buy a phone this year? Check out the top 3 chipsets to look out for when buying a phone.
Mobile phones are really hot nowadays. Not only that smartphones are still king when it comes to electronic devices, but also there will be more upcoming releases of new models for your favorite mobile phone provider.
However, it’s only the smartphone as a whole that you get to scrutinize when you are finding the best phone for you. You also have to look under the hood and see what components contribute to the performance of your phone.
One of those components is the smartphone processors. Here are the top 3 AI-driven chipsets you might want to consider looking for in a phone.
Despite being in the midst of lawsuits from Apple, Qualcomm managed to release its latest mobile phone processor. The Snapdragon 845.
Snapdragon 835 has been marked as a successful chip from Qualcomm since it’s the first System-on-a-chip or SoC to be manufactured using 10 nanometer FinFET process. It has powered Samsung Galaxy S8 and OnePlus 5T remarkably.
With its perfect effect on phone performance, many are excited about what the Snapdragon 845 can offer for future phones. Some perks that Snapdragon 845 can provide to phones are:
- Redesigned from scratch to significantly boost performance such as rendering graphics 30% faster plus 2.5x higher display
- Supports dual hotwords for voice search assistants
- Enhanced Image Signal Processor which considerably improve camera performance
See it in action in the newly released Samsung Galaxy S9 that was released on the 25th of February.
Apple is a master of habits. They have consistently made a release of new phone models and new chip with each new year.
Although there’s no certainty on what Apple is working on, there has been a lot of hype of what they will be offering after the successful launch of iPhone X.
Furthermore, a new model means new features and capabilities. Some rumored perks of what A12 can offer the new iPhone for this year:
- Apple planned to launch their A12 chip with the use of 7 nanometer process. 10 nm process already did wonders to A11 and Snapdragon, how much more a 7 nm process?
- Increased graphics core count
- Power efficiency is enhanced
Wait for Apple’s A12 chip on the upcoming launch of the latest iPhone model this year.
Kirin 970 is Huawei’s contender for the battle of AI-driven chipsets of today. Like Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835, Kirin 970 is also made using 10 nanometer process.
The latest SoC of Huawei will be bigger, better, and faster compared to previous versions. For one, it is the first hyper-fast mobile chip of Huawei to be integrated with a Neural Processing Unit or NPU. This feature enables faster and more efficient processes with cloud-based AI and on-device AI.
Some features that Kirin 970 offers:
- Speedy image recognition. The SoC is shown to process 2, 000 images per minute and can accurately identify images with impressive speed
- Kirin 970 is 50 times more efficient and has 25 times more power compared to previous version Kirin 960
- It also pulls power as low as 0.5 watts which keeps the phone from running too hot
Anticipate its ability with the release of Mate 10 in October.
Artificial Intelligence on Phones
The following chipsets may have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. However, they all have one thing in common. They are made to be Artificial Intelligence ready.
Being in the generation where mobile phones and Artificial Intelligence or AI is a trend, companies are doing their best to incorporate the two fully. With the considerable improvement of technology today, you can see these outstanding AI-driven chipsets on the best phones that will be released this year.
Therefore, get ready for the future and plan for an AI-ready phone. So what’s your favorite chipset for your future phone so far?
If you like this article, read more from our technology feeds.